Location: New York City, New York (24 miles from Montclair)
# of Undergrads Attending: 6,027
Percent Accepted: 9.8%
Most Popular Majors: Engineering, English Language and Literature, Political Science and Government
What I Liked:
- The location! New York is the center of the universe.
- The concept of the core curriculum – because Columbia students come from all over the world and from many different backgrounds, the core curriculum unites the students, allowing them to relate to one another but still bring their own experiences to the discussion.
- The application of opportunities offered by the City to learning – art history classes will go to the MET instead of reading about it in a text book.
- The exposure to a wide array of studies the university offers.
- The Student Union building, because it seems like the vibrant epicenter of campus activities.
- How friendly the students were. I started great conversations with several students just by approaching them on the Low Library steps.
What I Didn’t Like:
- The really dirty bathrooms in Low Library.
- The room draw selection process involves competing with 6,027 other students.
Seems like a great college for… someone interested in a diverse student population and expanding their horizons. Anyone who wants to take advantage of all that New York culture and diversity have to offer would feel right at home.
Something unexpected was… to graduate one must pass a swimming test.
The Bull welcomes contributions to this series of college reviews by MHS students. Please email email@example.com for more details.