Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (93 miles from Montclair)
# of Undergrads Attending: 1,198
Percent Accepted: 25%
Most Popular Majors: Biology, Chemistry, Economics, English, Political Science, Psychology
What I Liked:
- how safe the school community is – not only is there little crime, but students feel comfortable leaving their bikes unlocked, their dorm room doors open and laptops sitting unattended for hours
- the beautiful campus and buildings
- Haverford’s famous, all-encompassing Honor Code (emphasis on trust, respect and community collaboration)
- that there is no graduate school, so the focus is entirely on undergrads
What I Didn’t Like:
- the really small student population – it’s a little more than half of MHS
- that there are almost no pre-professional programs or studies offered
- the newspaper Haverford shares with nearby women’s college Bryn Mawr was not impressive
Seems like a great college for… laid-back attitudes, serious students and those looking for a homier environment.
Something unexpected was… that all tests are unproctored. Tests are handed out to students to take on their own and are due on a certain date. Besides tests being closed-book and having a time limit, they can be taken whenever and wherever a student wants.